What we are doing?
In West Wigtownshire we are working alongside women who are pregnant, have babies or young children to develop small scale initiatives and peer support. We have funding from the Big Lottery’s Communities Families Fund.
We want to
- Encourage mums to support each other by developing small scale activities like buggy walks, and café groups
- Reduce the isolation many Mums face, especially in rural areas.
- Point mums to sources of advice that will help support their wellbeing.
- Encourage mums to use the opportunities for learning and access to employment that are open to them
We are also working in partnership with Stranraer YMCA to support younger mums who are under 25 years old to develop peer support activities. This work is funded by the Holywood Trust.
- Developing a peer support group as a source of advice and social interaction
- Helping mums set up their own small scale local activities
- Identifying other local sources of information and support, such as money matters, employment and college courses
- Using social media and technology to support the interaction of mums
- Finding out about other local initiatives and projects that support families
For more information
Louise Willson firstname.lastname@example.org 07706433938
Newsletters & updates
You can find out what the groups have been doing up to now by looking at the newsletters from the project.